It’s kind of shocking that about 25% of all reported workplace accidents involve a slip, trip, or fall. And it’s hard to believe that falling down is the second leading cause of death after motor vehicle accidents.
But having mats at your place of business is an easy and inexpensive way to mitigate that slip, trip, and fall risk. Mats offer traction in slippery areas, they collect dirt and prevent it from being tracked everywhere, they can prevent employee fatigue from standing for long hours, and they also can help with your branding and marketing.
Mats do great things, but only if they’re in good condition. Mats that are in rough shape add to the problem instead of solving it. So, here’s how to know if your mats need to be replaced.
- Are they dirty? If mats are dirty, they need to be washed, not replaced, although you may need extra mats while the first ones are drying. Be sure to follow the manufacturers’ instructions for washing and drying, but many of them can just be hosed off and laid flat to dry.
- Are they frayed? Frayed mats need to be replaced. You don’t want people tripping on wayward threads hanging off.
- Are they uneven? Sometimes old mats might get an uneven wear pattern, especially if they aren’t regularly rotated. Uneven mats need to be replaced.
- Is the message no longer visible? Like everything else, logo mats can get worn out, especially lower-quality ones. If the message or art is no longer understandable, then you need new mats.
- Are edges chipped or uneven? The edges of the mat need to be smooth. Chipped or uneven edges are a hazard. Time to replace.
- Do the mats no longer stay in place? If the mats are sliding around, that means that the underside is worn. Mats are designed to grip the floor and provide traction. If yours don’t do that, then it’s time to replace them.
Remember, your mats are a reflection of your business. Old worn-out mats look junky, and that’s not the message you want to convey to the public. If you take care of your mats, wash those that are dirty, and you buy new ones when needed, that says a lot of positive things about your business.
Do you have other questions? It’s easy to contact us, and we’re happy to help you. You can always call us at (877) 333-1018 or email us at email@example.com for more information or if you aren’t sure what you need.